warning: picture heavy post! i probably should have broke this down into two...but too late now!
i am so happy we went through with the gender reveal party! it was a blast to share such a special moment with our family and closest friends! we had such a good time and i think it was fun for everyone else as well! here's a play by play, complete with details...
invitations - please ignore the fact that i took a picture of it with my phone. it was a PDF file and i couldn't attach it to a post, so you get this. one day, i'll take a picture of the actual invitation, since that's the only picture i DON'T have...
i had my very talented friend carli create the invitations and i printed them at fedex/kinkos. i mounted them on cardstock (on clearance!) from target.
- paper straws from sweet lulu - these were definitely a splurge, but so worth it in my opinion. they were so fun!
- gender votes (bows and mustaches) -we just finished unpacking everything so we had plenty of cardboard boxes headed for the trash. i decided to cut one up and paint it with chalkboard paint. it was free and pliable enough to stick pins in it. worked perfectly. i cut mustaches out of grey felt and tied simple bows from pink and orange ribbon.
- photobooth props - i printed these on paper (from ohhappyday) and traced them onto foam. the pirate and batman were most definitely the crown favorites. unfortunately, there weren't many girly ones to choose from, so they were kinda lame.
- a while back i had created a bunting banner for a photo shoot that unfortunately never happened so i quickly decided this was the perfect opportunity to use it! the ribbon bunting behind the banner is the same fabric i used for the bows. i purchased a small "jelly roll" of fabric from michaels, cut the strip into thirds, and tied it on jute string. it was a perfect backdrop to the bunting banner.
- the big reveal - like i mentioned before, we had plenty of moving boxes destined for the trash so we saved the largest box and i wrapped it in black craft paper and wrote on the front with chalk. i took it to a party store, along with the envelope from our perinatologist and had them fill the box with the corresponding color of balloons. i had a friend pick up the box to avoid a spoiled surprise.
of course an obligatory shot of the photo booth/reveal station
- paper products - i purchased hot pink and teal/blue plastic plates from hobby lobby. i had originally planned to get these at the dollar store, but hobby lobby had better quality and prices, thanks to their 40% off coupons!
food - let's be honest, feeding 40+ people is overwhelming and can quickly get expensive! luckily, i had some wonderful friends and family help out in that department.
- appetizer - 7 layer dip made by stan's step-mom. delicious!
- honey baked ham - sprouts was running a killer deal on ham! i think it was like $1.50 per pound
- BBQ chicken - i love market street's texas tumble chicken. i miss not living close to a market street for that very reason! they happened to be running a special on their hand trimmed chicken breast ($2.00 per pound), so i purchased that to finish of the meat
- potato salad -stan's mom makes a killer potato salad and she was happy to help out
- green beans - my sweet friend, brittany, opened up her lovely home and cooked up some delicious green beans
- mac 'n cheese - stan's step mom contributed some delicious mac 'n cheese to help out
- baked beans with bacon - stan's aunt was kind enough to whip up some yummy baked beans to wrap up the dinner menu
drinks -my parents supplied most of the drinks, and brittany and i picked up some beer that went pretty quickly. we also made a champagne spritzer that may or may not have tasted very good. it was more than half empty by the end of the party, but it was made by two preggos who didn't do any taste testing! oops...
- soft drinks
- champagne spritzer
dessert - cake balls from sugar derby - these were absolutely amazing! our friend has always loved to bake and likes to do things like this on the side, so we hit her up for some of the most amazing cake balls i've ever had!
i'm pretty sure that wraps up the details of the party. here are some fun shots of friends and family!
|he deserves his own photo because he's so darn cute! brittany's adorable son, Van|
|these two beautiful ladies were two of stan's best friends throughout his school years. and still remain today!|
|i grew up with these women! brenda (in the middle) was my best freind since the 6th grade! i love her dearly. that's her younger sister cortney on the right. and of course my mom on the left.|
|my sweet friend kristine. they moved back from nashville 4 months ago! best day ever!|
|stan's dad, step-mom and grandson, dash|
|my mom and dad|
|on the left, chris and tammy. tammy was my sister's best friend growing up and chris was one of my brother's friends. funny how that worked out ;) that's their sweet baby girl, Izzy. on the right is my sister and her boyfriend, jessep.|
|carli and braden. like i mentioned before, stan grew up with carli. he is officiating their wedding in june! AND they will soon live one apartment building away from us!|
|our old small group when stan worked at providence. i absolutely hate that we aren't 10 minutes away anymore :( i love them dearly!|
|stan's mom's side of the family. his mom and step-dad on the far left. his great aunt next to us. on the far right is his aunt carol, his grandpa and next to me is carols father-in-law.|
|our long time friend josh and his wonderful girl, kaitlyn|
|my parents and nephews, dalton and logan|
and because i'm lazy...see this post for the big reveal!